hyp-o-ther-mi-a

In class we read “Build a fire” and we chose a topic that related to some sort of this story. I chose hypothermia, and had many questions about hypothermia. I thought hypothermia was interesting because I want to be some type of nurse when I get older, and hypothermia is a disease so maybe one day I could help treat it. As I watched “To Build a Fire” I saw many ways how the cold weather affected the man such as ice on his beard and numbness in his hands.

For my research for hypothermia, I researched questions such as “what are the side affects for hypothermia?”, “what’s the cause of hypothermia?” and “can it kill you”. As I researched these questions I found a website that told me the side affects for hypothermia. As your body temperature drops, signs and symptoms of moderate to severe hypothermia include; shivering, clumsiness, slurred speech, confusion, and drowsiness. The cause of hypothermia includes cold exposure when the balance between the body’s heat production and heat loss tips toward heat loss for a prolonged period. The chances of dying from hypothermia kill at an amazing pace when cold temperature causes the body to loose heat quickly.

3 thoughts on “hyp-o-ther-mi-a

1. Supergirl05 i agree with you hypothermia is a interesting topic. I want to be a to be a type of nurse also, i want to be a PT ( Physical Therapist). But back to the topic do you know at what temperature does the body have to be for it to go into hypothermia?

2. Thank you for informing me. Now i know that hypothermia is a disease. I always thought it was something that happened when your cold the goes away when you warm up. So thanks for taking the time to reasearch it an d then informing me on what it is.

3. Tisterling, that’s a good question. Supergirl05, you’ve done a good job describing why you selected the topic, and you’ve gotten your readers like Tisterling to relate. It appears you might have misled some students about hypothermia being a disease. I’d suggest you editing your post reflect to better reflect what hypothermia is. Here’s some information from the CDC that can help: https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/staysafe/hypothermia.html